Here are a few things I said I would NEVER do...and then realized that over the years, I might have done them!
1. Go to the chiropractor. And now I'm "one of THOSE people" who believe in them. I'm not addicted, I just appreciate not living daily in pain. Don't judge me until you've lived in pain!
2. Spank my children. It's not a routine occurrence. In fact, it's less than a handful of times per child. It catches them so off guard and makes them feel so guilty, it's usually a LONG time before it happens again. Plus, I prefer to use words to discipline my children. And role modeling.
3. Own a minivan. I did it. I sold it.
4. Own two cars at the same time. I always thought we'd have a truck or an SUV alongside our car. Now we have two family sedans - one PAID FOR - and it's just fine.
5. Work for a for-profit company. There was a reason I said I would never do it. I should have trusted my gut. I am a non-profit-for-life girl.
6. Walk out of a job. I've now done it TWICE. At one, they treated me like CRAP; one was just a REALLY bad judgment call on my part and I parted ways on day 3 before I even set up shop.
7. Be a single-digit size. It's not that I never WANTED it, I just never thought I'd achieve it. And while I'm a 10 most days, I do sport a few 8's in my closet. Man, does that feel good.
8. Own a cat. I haven't, and promise to keep this one. I'm putting it on the list so you can hold me to it.
9. Use day care. For one horrible, awful year, we took our kids to a day care provider who cared for upwards of 15 kids. She said she only had 8-10, then when I'd pick them up, there would be more. My kids cried, they hated it, I hated it. It was short lived. We relied on friends and family before and after that experience.
10. Get drunk. Here's another one that's never happened. And as long as I have a brain in my head, it never will.
11. One more for good measure. Declare bankruptcy. You know what, you do what you have to do for your kids. We were up to our eyeballs in medical debt - and probably always will be - but it wasn't worth losing sleep over. We got a clean slate, still have a beautiful home, great jobs, food on the table and a child who gets the medical attention that he needs without us being judged for it. I'm now an advocate to just get on with it if you have to do it. I'm not alone.
There, see, I can write about something other than horrible hospital experiences!
No comments:
Post a Comment