Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Next Step in Faith

Our son had his first communion last Sunday. The Sunday before, a newborn baby was baptized, a baby that had been born prematurely and had lots of health issues, spent time in ICU, etc. As I watched, I was overcome with emotion and tears dripped down my face. My son leaned over and asked me, "Why are you crying?" I explained that I was just thinking how it didn't seem that long ago that we were baptizing him, and he was so small and frail after being in NICU, and now he was getting ready for his first communion. I said "You just grow up too fast." He didn't say anything, he just had the instinct to squeeze my hand.

He's been through so much. And through it all, he's kept his faith, his strength, his determination and his moral compass. He's seen REALLY low days, and overcome more than most 9 year olds will in their lifetime. And seeing him take the next step in his faith journey, I felt the Lord patting my back a little, saying "You're doing just fine."

No comments: