Monday, May 11, 2009

Finally...the BIG day!

We took off Friday morning to head to Lawrence for my cousin, Sarah's, wedding. She and I were raised more like sisters than cousins, and she is also the godmother of our daughter. I couldn't love her more. She and Aaron are awesome together and we are so very blessed to have him join the family. I coordinated the wedding - every detail of it. My husband was the DJ at the reception, our two kids were in the wedding party. We've been planning for over a year.

The wedding was beautiful. The weather was perfect. Sarah, Aaron and everyone looked amazing. Our son was so handsome in his tux and our daughter looked like a princess.

Don't you wish you had pictures to see? Sorry. Our camera was stolen. You're thinking, "OH NO! That's terrible!" It gets worse. This is ME you're talking about here. You wouldn't actually think that's the ONLY thing that would smack us in the face, would you?!

Aside from the grandness of this event, here are a few mishaps that happened along the way...

1. The camera was stolen....you got that.
2. My keys didn't make it home....two cars with remotes and four house keys on there.
3. My dress ripped at the reception - the entire back opened when the zipper decided it didn't want to work anymore. So I had to change into pants and shirt, but only AFTER...
4. I derobed into my birthday suit in a room off the reception hall that had a wall full of windows that were shared with the patio....that guests were standing on.
5. My daughter decided to throw two major tantrums and one minor one throughout the weekend. Luckily, the minor one was the one DURING the actual wedding. On the altar.
6. Our son's tuxedo was two sizes too big with no time to replace it.
7. Our son was playing with a rolling office chair in the rented townhome that Sarah's family stayed in. It rammed into a wall and busted a few inches of sheetrock onto the floor. Sigh.
8. I didn't get to eat dinner or cake at the reception. The waiter kept taking my plate before I could even start when I had to help the bride, my daughter or some other random person do something.
9. My husband and I put together an entire playlist of songs for the reception, making sure to pick some that we would dance to. Out of 5 hours worth of music, we got to dance to 2 songs, neither of which we picked!
10. It was open bar - until the predetermined paid-for amount ran out. It ran out one person before I finally asked for a glass of wine. And I didn't have any cash. So I drank water...in my pants...without any pictures of me in my dress....alone on a dance floor...after flashing the guests...while my daugher screamed.

Luckily, Sarah doesn't read this blog, because she had no idea any of this happened. It was her perfect day - just how it should have been. My husband said God picked us to handle the mishaps - better us than the bride and groom or their family/friends in the wedding. I guess so. But I did cry. And I probably will when I look back on the weekend - with both sadness and joy.

These newlyweds are in the for the ride of their life - if only they knew.

2 comments:

A Busy Mom's life said...

On our way home yesterday, Karissa was mentioning most of these things and told us flat out, that she wants a simple non-formal wedding like Dustin had in Lyons, outside with the guys in tropical shirts and khakis and the women in sundress', releasing butterflies after an Indian prayer is read. I know you didn't go to this wedding, but out of all the weddings we've ever been to, this is the most memorable, just because of of the simplicity. I hope she keeps this hope alive for her wedding!

Rhonda said...

I thought you would have me laughing, but I'm pretty much just sad for you. How is it possible for all that to happen to one person??