Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pivot Point

Yesterday marked the six month date of our son's last hospital stay. In his seven years, this is the longest he has gone without an admittance. Sometimes it's just overnight. Most often, it's for many days and nights,. I look at him and just marvel - in the last year, he has gained 24 pounds and grown almost three inches. He went from the smallest in his kindergarten class to holding his own in first grade. He still lacks strength and endurance and his lungs are weak. He can't run as far or as long and takes lots of medicine. But he's excelling in both golf and tennis this summer and when I look at him now, I don't immediately see a sickly child. I see an adorable young man with a heart of gold.

I don't know what to attribute the changes to. I believe part of it is our relocation. It's curious to us that in his first six years of life, we lived in a very industrial town with an oil refinery. His elementary school has since been labeled as the MOST toxic school in the nation due to its proximity to the refinery (and we lived two blocks from the school!). We had an almost-new home there that we felt was safe and healthy. But we now have an almost-historic home and I'm wondering if it's not better....he has his own room and hardwood floors. He also goes to grandma's or aunt Patsy's after school until I get home at 4, rather going to daycare until 6 like he used to. That was a whole other set of kid-germs that we don't worry about anymore. He has 14 classmates now instead of the 25 he used to. He's a stone's throw from family now instead of 45 minutes, which I think makes him more at ease. My parents are doing better with their health, so I am less stressed, therefore making him happier.

So there are lots of variables to consider...who knows which one thing or combination of things is causing him to have a good stretch of good health. I'm just glad for it. I am admittedly scarred. I still check on him during the night. I feel his head at least three times a day for fever. I secretly check him for signs of hives as he hops into the shower. And I pray. HARD.

One thing we've always had during his life is an incredible team of doctors who support us. We received notice yesterday, ironically, that his immunologist is leaving his practice. We aren't sure what to do with that. He's seen our son through SOOOO much and has been such a wonderful resource. Now we start to look for a new doc - and hope and pray that he or she is as good, patient, and open to our feelings has he has been.

So, alas, we reach a pivot point. Will our son take the road less traveled (at least for him) and enjoy some time of better health? Or will we digress? No one knows. But I think we are at least off to a good start - and for that, we are blessed.

1 comment:

Nutmeg said...

This is thrilling news! (sorry to hear other things aren't going so well)
~Amy