I sometimes think of and treat my children as if they are older than they are. They talked and walked from an extremely early age, hardly every slept in a crib, excel at school and just seem all-around more grown up than they really are at 7 and 3.
But once in a while, they catch me off guard and remind me that they are indeed still children. A few days ago, I went into my son's room to gather laundry and noticed his webkinz fox (named Foxy) on his bed. Foxy was all snuggled in, with his head on a pillow and blankets tucked tight around him and the tv was on. I asked my son what was up and he said, "Foxy wanted to just rest today and watch some tv."
Our son plays with his webkinz, but I never actually thought HE thought they were REAL! I thought he just enjoyed the technology-part of the experience, playing with his animals online. Imagine the grin on my face when he said that. Gee, he IS just a little boy sometimes.
And if that isn't cute enough, this weekend he was watching a Dora movie with his sister about saving the oceans. There were of course mermaids and mermen in this movie - I mean, Ariel is real after all - and several kinds of underwater creatures. Whales, dolphins, sharks, etc. There was also a CATfish. With a cat face, cat ears, whiskers, paws and the bottom half was a fish tail and gills. And it meowed. Seriously? Our son said, "Mom, I always wondered what a catfish looked like. Now I'll know when I go fishing!" I about died. He is TOO cute.
Our daughter has the same adoring qualities. Every morning, nearly, she comes to our bed at about 3 or 4 am. She brings with her a stuffed animal for daddy, for me and for herself. Can you imagine this little sleepy red-head in her dazed state, in the dark, taking time to get each of us an animal to cuddle?
Being a mommy is priceless.
No comments:
Post a Comment