Thursday, March 15, 2012

Be well.

Seems like wellness comes and goes in cycles in our family. We'll have a really bad run of luck for a while, then things will all be great for a while, then the bottom falls out again.

I guess it's better than there someone always being sick, although the underlying issues never really go away. Aside from my daughter's THREE rounds of strep this winter, things have gone pretty well.

But in the last two weeks, we hit a bad spell.

First, my husband was diagnosed with mono. And not the "rest and take it easy" kind. The "take off work for three weeks, do nothing because your spleen could rupture" kind. We're on week two. 60% pay. Sleep study. Heart monitor. BLEGH.

Next, my dad (who has cancer, mind you), gets Influenza A. Down for a week. Then my sister has to go to the ER because of abdominal pain. Ruptured cyst. Then influenza takes down my 89 year old grandma. In her weak state, she falls. And gets pneumonia.

Next up, I'm scheduled (before any of this) to go see a new ortho surgeon for my shoulder. No operation scheduled at this time, but referral to a shoulder "specialist," MRI, cortisone and pain shots, and no lifting my arm over my head until further notice. Already failed that one. Ever heard of shampooing your hair? The pain meds made me sick. And it hurts. Yeah, I'm whining. The Doctor said I've earned that right. So I'll take it.

And then, just because we needed some icing on our cake, my son runs into the fireplace mantle last night. I've had to work late a lot, and my husband calls at 5:05..."are you coming home on time tonight?" I was on my way already (first night I was able to walk my dog, kick off my heels and rest). "We need to go to the ER for some stitches."

Sigh.

The good news is, just three stitches. And he's a super-duper-megastar-awesome patient thanks to his 10 year history of needle dependency for meds, surgeries, hospitals, etc. He rocked it out, got hugs from everyone, and I just have to say, the medical professionals here just astound me. Superior service, timely, so friendly and caring. Absolutely phenomenal.

Seriously, the cycle will stop soon, right??

1 comment:

Casey said...

Praying for your family, Kristi. Your title makes me think of Garrison Keillor's sign-off on "Writer's Almanac," "Be well. Do good work. And keep in touch." :o)