One week ago today, we were en route to our hometown after receiving the news hours before that my grandmother passed away. I had just spoken to her two days earlier. We had talked for about an hour on Saturday morning about just anything and everything. She sounded so good. It was prom day, and she knew that her great-granddaughter (my niece) would be going. She could see K's house from her apartment window, and was hoping to steal a glance. I suggested to K that she go to visit, all decked out in her prom best. Later that evening, this picture came across my phone:
She was so happy to see her baby girl all dressed up. The next day, she'd be gone. When my mother called to tell me, my first words were "I"m so glad K went to see her." I can't even write this without my eyes spilling over with tears, because the look of happiness on my grandmother's face just melts my heart.
The week was filled with emotion - highs and lows - as we gathered with our family from near and far to lay her to rest. Family gatherings, regardless of the occasion, bring me such joy and completion. My grandparents' deepest joy was when all of us were together. Following the services, the next day we all flew to Texas for the wedding of my cousin. Several generations gathered for this joyous occasion, and we paid tribute to my grandmother there, as well. It was hard to come home.
There is a song on Christian radio called "Let them see you in me" that speaks to my heart every time I hear it. But I heard it this morning in a new light. I was thinking of my grandmother as I saw the hot air balloons paint the sky in the valley, about how bright and vibrant the colors were. The lyrics to the song go like this:
"Let them see you in me. Let them hear you when I speak. Let them feel you when I sing. Let them see you, let them see you in me."
My grandmother lived her life so that others saw the Lord in her. But it is my heart's desire that I may live so that my children may also see her in me.

1 comment:
These are beautiful words, Kristi. I'm so sorry to hear of your grandmothers passing. I saw the photos of prom & that the kids went to see her all decked out in their fancy prom outfits, but I had no idea she passed away the next day. I'm sure she's looking down from her angel cloud as proud as can be of the amazing, compassionate woman you are. May you feel her presence in those moments when you need her & may you find comfort knowing she is with her Heavenly Father. Love you :)
Post a Comment