Thursday, May 15, 2014

That's Just Weird

After my grandmother's funeral, the church provided our family and friends a meal. You know....every kind of salad known to man. And not just green lettuce salad. Marshmallow-jello salad, seafood (maybe?) salad, Chinese noodle salad, make-it-up-as-you-go salad. Then there's a meat and cheese tray. And don't forget the cake. Every kind of cake. You can definitely have your cake and eat it too.

Once we were loaded up on on traditional church/funeral fare, we cousins sat to chat. The littlest one, Sawyer, is 3. NOT four. Three. Thanks to this little sprite, we found ourselves laughing through our solemn mood.

"I had chicken nuggets, and ketchup and fries at Tommy's. That's just weird," he told my husband with a straight face. "Weird." He shook his head and walked away.

Wanna know what else is weird?

  • I have donkeys in my yard. We hear them scream at each other in the wee hours of the morning, then gallop down the street. They aren't little. And they don't look very docile. 
  • We have community meetings about how to prevent against and protect ourselves and pets against scorpions and snakes as we head into summer. Uh, gag (disclaimer: both are rarities, but we do have to talk about it and be prepared.)
  • The kids have less than 5 days of school left this year.
  • I can work out every day for 5 years and feel really great about my body. Nice tone, slim waist, single digit closet. My husband works out every day for 6 weeks and looks like Captain America. Ok, not quite (I wish), but seriously...it's weird how fast guys can pack on muscle and take off pounds.
  • Giving tech support to my parents from 1200 miles away....and teaching them FaceTime so we can phone chat is definitely weird. Weirder yet is that they are pretty decent at it.
  • I tried to call my grandma on Saturday, just out of habit. When the phone did that "do-do-do" disconnected sound, I couldn't believe my stupidity. Then I wept. 
  • My parents sent me a box of her kitchen towels. I can't use them. Because the scent reminds me of her. I just keep them in a drawer, and when I miss her, I pull one out and just sniff her in. 
  • I have a passion for kickboxing. It's my (secret) obsession. I'm also pretty good at it, and taught it for a few years. But it's how I hurt my shoulder. I am so mentally scarred from my surgery, that I faced down a heavy bag yesterday and couldn't bring myself to throw a punch. I might be somewhat emotionally unstable, because I burst into tears.
  • One can actually tire of Mexican food.
  • I miss BBQ and the Royals more than anything else about Kansas.
  • I have two months left of grad school.
  • We have visitors coming every month from June to October (which we LOVE!). But no one ever came to visit us in Kansas City. We move to paradise and suddenly people have time to visit!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I'm a little slow in getting to read people's blogs! Seriously...the scorpion and snake thing would have me on a jet plane!

kranberry216 said...

Aw, it's not that bad. We live "Inland" from the desert, so the folks near the open areas are at more risk. We spray, keep a clean house, don't go digging in the sand, so we'll be fine. What we DON'T have is snow, ice or icicles breaking through our roof and flooding our house!! :) Good trade.