WRONG.
What you see is what you get. I don't do fake, mainly because I'm a TERRIBLE actor (ask any of my high school drama friends, it's why I was always in the orchestra pit).
But here are a few tips on how I stay positive, even when the dark clouds are pouring in.
1) I pray. Every day. Multiple times a day. On my knees, at my desk, in my car, in meetings, in bed, in the kitchen, in the shower...whenever something is on my heart, which is a lot.
2) I keep a gratitude journal. Every night, I write down things that I was thankful for that day. It might be a hummingbird sighting, or the fact that my husband brought me coffee. Something one of my kids said or did, or the fact that our A/C is keeping up! Anything, big or little, so that I go to bed and wake up with a heart of gratitude.
3) Three good things with my kids: the kids don't write them down yet, but every night when I tuck them in, I have them share three good things from their day. Then we pray. It centers them, as well.
4) I listen exclusively to Christian radio. No pop radio - at all. The encouraging and positive messages of the music changes my life on a daily basis. I also give to KLOVE with a gift every month, it's only $10, but knowing I help fund the station makes me happy. I also listen to two songs EVERY day: "Glorious Unfolding" by Steven Curtis Chapman and "The World is Ours" by Aloe Blacc. Listen to them, I dare you not to smile.
5) We cut our cable. SERIOUSLY. TV. IS. EVIL. We watch baseball on streaming and Fallon on Hulu. We fill our time NOT watching TV being outside instead, working out, reading, doing things in our home, rock climbing, etc. No TV is LIFE.CHANGING. You know what else we don't watch thanks to this? The distressing nightly news.
6) I read. I challenge myself to read books above my reading level, because it forces me to use my brain! A challenged brain is a happy brain!
7) I work out. A.LOT. This isn't just to look good or keep weight off. It's a mental exercise and it keeps my mind focused. The adrenaline from an amazing workout cleans the junk, releases toxins and keeps me free(er) of knots in my body. Being able to slide into a size 6 pair of jeans doesn't suck, either.
8) I'm a church goer. We tried several churches here before we found the one that spoke to our hearts, and then we went all in. We joined Bible study groups to fellowship with other believers. We went to the Pastor's house to get to know him better and I have coffee with him on a regular basis. The people are becoming our family and the church, our home away from home.
9) If I'm down and out about money (this happens A LOT), I go from room to room in my house and sit quietly for 5 minutes in each room, looking around and saying out loud the things I love about that room, and remember why I have the material things in each room, sort of an inventory. I also do this with non material things (how the room makes me feel, the children sleeping soundly in it, etc.). Suddenly, I don't really need the thing I wanted and couldn't afford.
10) I love on my family. We hug a lot. I kiss my husband with passion, not just routine. I show affection to my children, and they return it with hand holds, snuggles and high fives. We tell each other we love each other, and we MEAN it. We never let someone leave without acknowledging them. And we never EVER walk away.
11) I surround myself with happy people. If I find myself with people who try to bring me down, I consciously make it a point to spend LESS time with them, or try to rub off on them! Don't let others' negativity negatively impact you. No one can take your joy or dull your sparkle unless you let them.
These are just a few of the things I do to keep the sunshine pouring in. Of course we have bad days, bad news, bad money months (weeks/days/hours), piling bills, illnesses, issues at work, frustrations at school, kids with hurt feelings, etc. But it's never enough to let it take away our joy.
James 1:2-3 “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.”
Psalm 28:7 “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him."
No comments:
Post a Comment