Friday, April 24, 2009

Calm During the Storm

On Wednesday, my mom was taking care of our 3 year old for the day while we were at work. At 11:48 am, my cell rang. "Where are you?" my mother's voice asked, totally out of breath and panicked. "At work, why what's wrong?" I asked "Hurry and get here. I can't wake up Grandma. An ambulance is on the way!"

Knowing full well that I would never make it to their house in time, which is as FAR away from my work as is possible in our town, I darted out hoping the stop light fairies would guide me. I did make it in time and they were putting her in the ambulance as I arrived. My mother was in the front seat of the ambulance and my daughter was.....where was she?!

In the hubbub of it all, my grandma's neighbor, who we also know from church, had offered to take our daughter. This wonderful woman is, I'm guessing, in her 70's. I checked in with her and she said they were fine, to go to the hospital.

Under the circumstances, I couldn't argue. Even though I was hesitant, I obliged and sped off behind the ambulance. On the way, I realized that my daughter hadn't even batted an eyelash at the situation, just staying calmly with this (to her) stranger. I found out later, after my sister picked our daughter up, that Marty (the neighbor) had made our daughter lunch, they'd played games, petted the cat, watered flowers and all sorts of fun stuff. New babysitter - check!

Once there, I got the story from mom. Grandma had collapsed while at mom's house, with our daughter right next to her. Mom sprung her into action, asking her to get the office chair and bring it to her to put grandma in. Our brave little toaster, er, 3 year old, got the chair and helped mom. She put the dogs outside and waited at the front door for the "ambliance men" to arrive and let them in. She - this 3 year old little grownup - had embodied total calm.

This morning, we went to stay with grandma, whose heart function is in question. My daughter ran in and hugged her, and said, "Are you ok, great grandma?" She assured her she was better. "I got the chair for you," she said with a smile. "I know. You saved my life!" She hugged and hugged and hugged her. Our daughter now has two new things to talk about - saving lives and her new friend, Marty.

I couldn't be prouder of her.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

She is so sweet. :)

Nutmeg said...

WOW! Way to go, lil' one!