Friday, October 30, 2009

Clean Bill of Health

Last week, I had an insane amount of blood taken at the doctor, with results to be delivered today at a one-on-one with my doctor that I've been avoiding for about oh, eight years. Ever since my mom was diagnosed with hemolytic anemia and systemic lupus in 2002, I guess I've been anticipating the onset in my own body at some point. Then a few years ago, we got the news that my dad has macroglobulanemia (aka Bone Marrow Cancer). Then I really started to freak. Then a baseball sized tumor was detected on my ovary, followed by a complete hysterectomy - at the same age my mother had one - and I pretty much fell apart.

So I finally did it. I let them take my blood.

My doctor came in....he said, "You have a lab report anyone would envy."

BREATHE.

EVERY SINGLE TEST was normal...or better. Cholesterol...150. Good cholesterol - high. Bad cholesterol - low. Every indicator of lupus, cancer and autoimmune deficiencies were negative. My BMI is low. My weight falls towards the low end of normal for my height. My BP was perfect. He said he was very impressed and commended me for taking such good care of myself. He also said that our son's health issues and immune disorder are probably a) totally random or b) a result of his horrible birth process - but either way, not at all my fault.

Then I asked him to take me to buy my lunch for making me sit in a waiting room with a bunch of sick, hacking people when I was perfectly healthy.

So he did. And he told me to get ANYTHING I WANTED. So I did. And I didn't feel one bit guilty about it.

No comments: