Saturday, October 24, 2009

I'm back...hang on.

Well, here I am. If anyone still checks on this blog, I'd be surprised. But, hey, if you still have it check marked, THANKS! It has been pretty quiet, relatively, until this week. So you haven't missed much. But when things pile up, that's when I come here. It's a way to vent. So bear with me.

In my last post, I was bragging about how well my son has been doing. He brough home his report card from the first quarter a few weeks ago and I skipped over all of the A's and saw a ZERO. I high-fived him, hugged him and cried. A mother has never been prouder of a ZERO!! It was the number of days of school he missed. :)

It abruptly came to an end. On Monday of this week, he woke up and said, "I don't feel good." Ok, for our son to SAY he doesn't feel good means he REALLY doesn't feel good. Normal to him is feeling crappy, and he's adjusted quite nicely. He hurt all over, was short of breath and had a headache so bad, he bawled. No fever though. My husband was off that day, so I headed to work. At about 10, I got the call it was time to head to the ER.

When we got there, we were admitted within 30 minutes. Flu test - check. Strep test - check. MRSA test - check. X-rays, lab - check. Puke bag - yep. The puking began. The fever arrived. The IV's were started (after 4 nurses and 6 tries). A sinus infection he'd been fighting moved into his chest - and the antibiotics he'd been given two weeks ago didn't touch it. So we fetched our bags and settled in for a stay.

All night long, the poor baby vomited - the tamiflu (precautionary, the test was negative), tylenol for the fever, the antibiotic. I cried and cried. He just kept saying "I love you mommy." More tears. UGH.

FINALLY, he started responding to the meds and we came home late Tuesday night. I stayed home again Wednesday with him while daddy went to work (and got written up for having taken the day before off to be with his sick son in the hospital). Thursday, I headed back to work -= after spending the morning with my son in the immunologist's office getting more tests and labs done (update on this next week). Friday, I felt like I could breathe.

Then the phone rang. My dad's appendix was about to rupture, he was in the ER and the surgeon was on the way. Here we go again. For those that aren't aware, my dad has bone marrow cancer, too. So a ruptured appendix - not a good thing. Luckily, the got it before it ruptured. But he had one heck of a night - and I logged 7 more hours in a hospital room for the week.

I'm tired. I'm crabby. I'm up to my ears in laundry, dishes, cleaning and my son's homework. I'm also SOOOOO thankful for the friends who allow me to lean on them, depend on them, cry to them and who so dutifully pray for me and my family. I LOVE YOU ALL.

No comments: