Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Drowning...

My friend Rhonda recently posted that she is drowning. She's dragging me down with her. Only I haven't even seen or talked to her in weeks (unless facebook chatting counts).

As you know from my last post, my husband's new job is creating an "adjustment period" in our house. That's my fancy term for "tension." Don't EVER get me wrong. I LOVE my husband. I am so insanely proud of him for getting a promotion, a new, BETTER job that he's excited about. And I agreed to this arrangement, for his sake. BUT, that being said, I'm drowning in the consequences. He works. He sleeps. He picks up the kids. He works. He sleeps. He plays basketball with the kids. I work. I do laundry. I cook. I clean. I teach kickboxing. I plan schedules. I grocery shop. I let myself drown in self pity because all he really has to do is work. And sleep. (notice "sleep" wasn't really on my to do list. I occasionally give in).

I'm drowning at work, too. It's April. The national library powers-that-be think it's fun to put EVERYTHING into one month. So...it's National Library Week. It's Library worker appreciation week. It's volunteer appreciation month. It's week of the young child. It's national poetry month - and we have a poet visiting every week to read to packed crowds.

And just to spice things up, I decided to take a graduate level class for a certification title at my job (when I pass, I'll get fancy initials after my name that prove I'm an "expert"). It's weekly. It's long. It's a lot of memorization and writing.

It's the month prior to the end of school. And the month prior to Elena's all-important dance recital. There are meetings, practices, alteration days. There are pictures, makeup sessions, hair sessions and fittings. My son has a field trip - I'm going. My job has an out of town adult ed opportunity - I'm sponsoring.

It's LENT. Bells every Wednesday after Lenten supper (see this post for more Wednesday happenings.). The kids sing in church Sunday. I play bells and sing in church on Easter.

I'm drowning. And I'm not the best swimmer. Luckily, I have the best life raft ever...a risen savior who lifts me up, gives me strength and patience, and gives me still waters. Because the still waters are the difference between literally drowning, and being able to tread.

No comments: