Tuesday, May 10, 2011

There's one I haven't heard before.

*disclaimer: This post does not have an air of vanity. It's purpose is to bring home the point that if I can do it, you can do it, too (or maybe you already have and inspired me!)

Twice in the last several days, I've had a comment directed at me that I've never heard before. Twice makes me think that it wasn't just a random comment, but might actually hold some weight.

Saturday, while getting a massage (by someone new that I've never gone to, and won't go back to, but that's beside the point), my massage therapist said "You have an athletic physique." WHAT?! ME?! Yeah right.

Yesterday, at my annual OB/GYN appointment, my doctor (gently) grabbed my arm to assist me into a laying-down position and said, "Wow, you're a strong girl. I can tell you're an athlete."

ME?! An ATHLETE?! REALLY?!

Ok mom, stop laughing. Seriously people, in grade school, I cried and made my parents write notes to get me out of PE requirements because I HATED PE. HATED IT. To the point that going to PE made me literally ill.

In middle school, I didn't try not to get injured, because I figured if I was injured, I didn't have to participate.

In high school, I lettered in track. As the manager. I went to EVERY.SINGLE.MEET. And I was an integral team member. Looking back on that, I'm sure my fellow "athletes" didn't see it that way.

But 4 years ago, that all changed when that same OB/GYN told me that I needed to exercise and lose my extra 25 pounds of baby weight. And so I did. Plus about 75 more pounds. (it took a couple of years). I went from a size 24 to a now size 6 or 8. I have less than 20% body fat. And I work out 5 days a week. And LOVE it. That's right - I LOVE to work out. I found that it's the best stress reliever in the world. And confidence booster. I have more energy. I feel better. I'm healthier. I'm stronger. My kids think it's cool that I kick box (heck, I think it's cool that I kick box and that I can actually TEACH it!). I'm a person I never would have imagined.

And I've discovered that there are some people that lettered in track, volleyball, softball, cheerleading that now have let themselves go. I see them and wonder how things switched around the way they did. It's all just choices. Choices that I never made when I was younger. And now choices that some of them are avoiding now that they're older. I didn't make the choice until my doctor encouraged me to, and a friend set me in motion with Weight Watchers. I've discovered that SOOOO many of my friends are finding a love of exercise, healthy eating and becoming an athlete that they never knew - NOW. As an adult. NOW, when our knees and shoulders and backs are starting to ache (yes, even in our 30s).

As a kid, a teen, a young adult, I would have LAUGHED and rolled my eyes at a person if they predicted that someday I would be an athlete, or have the body of one. Now, I just smile and say "Thanks!" I really am an athlete. Just a late-blooming one. And believe me, it's NEVER too late.

No comments: