Friday, July 8, 2011

A thin line: the right thing

In a week where the trial of Casey Anthony has been streaming nonstop and people are either in Camp A: she's guilty and it's insane that she's being set free or Camp B: there wasn't enough evidence and our system did it's job, there's been a lot to think about.

When it comes down to it, what REALLY matters is, what can WE do to make sure that more children aren't abused and killed?

Well, we can speak up, for one. And in my first trial, I failed. And I'm sick over it.

The other night, after dropping off my daughter at dance class, I was walking back to my car when I witnessed a child dart into the street. I panicked and started after him. But then his mother, who was HUGELY obese, and African American - not that it matters, but I'm just setting the scene - yelled towards him from where she was standing...

"Get your F$%#*&g A$@ back here! I'm gonna beat the S%*t out of you, you F$(*&$g kid. I told you not to do that S&^$." Then she dragged him into the car and slammed the door.

Enter her man. He then came out of the store, and headed to the car, where he started yelling and cussing at the woman, and the child.

My blood was BOILING. My instinct was to take the child when I had the chance and RUN. But then I would have been a kidnapper. Or maybe they had guns and would have shot me in the back of the head as I ran away. My second instinct was to say "EXCUSE me?! You do NOT talk to a child, or any human being in this manner." But what did I do. I watched in HORROR as she grabbed that child from inches in front of me and took him to the car.

This was NOT a small woman. This was a FIERCE woman. I am trained in self defense. I'm a boxing instructor. I probably could have taken this woman. But what if the man had then taken me?

So my fear trumped my instinct. Doing the right thing was a fine line - one that involved my own life. I got in the car and burst into tears. And I prayed God would take care of that child.
And I haven't stopped thinking about it since.

No comments: