Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful.


How am I thankful?  Let me count the ways!!  These past few weeks, especially, as I have been soaking in the gratitude for this new life we've created for ourselves (er, that God created for us), I have not come up short in the blessings department.  These are just a few that skim the surface.

  • Living in this place – this town, my neighborhood, my house…I have a beautiful home, a pool to enjoy, walking/running trails, great neighbors, I’m within walking distance of work/kids’ school if I want to be.  I can’t imagine living anywhere different.
  • My job – it fulfills me in such a way that other jobs haven’t wholly.  It’s like all of the other jobs I have enjoyed, all rolled into one.  The work itself, the mission, the office, the location, the people, the camaraderie, the passion.  It’s awesome.
  • My husband’s job – after working in pharmaceuticals for 14 years (blood, sweat and tears kind of work), a series of events this year has led him to Starbucks.  It’s not what he ever dreamed he’d be doing.  But it’s better.  He LOVES going to work.  He’s awesome at his work.  He smells delicious all the time.  And we get fun benefits. ;)  His job makes him happy, which makes us happy. 
  • My childrens’ school, which is right next door to my work.  I can see their playground from my office window.  This school district blows me away.  We are so blessed.
  • Arts/culture/sports out the wazoo!  We are definitely enjoying getting to experience it all (mostly free thanks to work!) Concerts, museums, football, baseball, soccer.  It’s like living on vacation!  Tonight, I’ll be enjoying a four course dinner alongside David Cook.  Seriously.
  • A strong, healthy, lean body.  That sounds so vain.  But it’s truly about being healthy.  I was so overweight.  I was not healthy, I was miserable.  I now know what it feels like to be strong – not just in my muscles, but in life.  My fitness journey also opened up a world of friends through Beachbody for which I will always be grateful.  And I get to help others get healthy along the way!!
  • A van.  YEP!  I bought a van.  We get a 2010 Volkswagon Routan this week.  It was impulsive, and I LOVE it.  It’s roomy, has fun little do-dads and I don’t have to hold a golden retriever on my lap anymore.
  • Speaking of my golden retriever.  I’m so thankful for her.  Seriously.. . I’ve never EVER had a dog that gave me the kind of reciprocal love and affection that this dog does.  She cuddles me like I’m the teddy bear, not her.  She takes care of my kids, she loves and plays with them with such adoration.  She’s my running buddy, looks radiant in the fireplace glow, and her ears are like silk.
  • My children are my precious gifts.  I look at them every day and think, “REALLY?”  Because I can’t even believe they are mine.  They’re smart, compassionate, healthy (PRAISE GOD!), and they look at me with adoration that melts my heart.  They’re good little people, others see it in them, too.  And it makes me well up with pride.
  • I am so blessed to still have my parents, and my grandmother on this Earth.  After all of their health scares, that I still get to hug them every few weeks…there just aren’t words.
  • My husband of 13 years is also my best friend.  There’s not much more than can be said about that, really.  I never dreamed that I’d find someone who would love me so unconditionally. And when I look at him still, I feel a rush of warmth knowing that he's mine.  FOREVER.
  • Grad School – yes, I’m thankful for school. Because first of all, not everyone gets the chance.  Not everyone wants the chance.  Not everyone CAN handle it, or pay for it.  Or like it.  And I do – all of that.  It stretches my mind, my edges, and makes me dig deeper.  I’ll be a better person for it.
  • My Lord God, and the house I get to worship in.  A place of worship with friends, amazing music, where my children feel at home and welcome.  That is not to be underestimated.

Wow, am I a lucky girl or what?!  Blessings to you this Thanksgiving!

No comments: