It went away. FAST. Christmas was over in the blink of an eye. We had a nice Christmas. Beautiful church services on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, two of which our son acolyted at (I just love to watch him in his robe and sash. He takes it very seriously and is most reverent). Christmas Day we stayed home -- for the first time EVER -- just us 4. We opened gifts, watched movies, made a turkey, played games. It was so nice.
Two days later, we went back "home" to have Christmas with the family. Only Adam's family all had the stomach bug, so we didn't see them. Instead we had more time with my family, and even snuck a friends lunch in. We had a great time, then headed back. On the way back, the winds shifted.
I started to not feel good. Then I started to feel awful. At the end of our three hour drive, I headed straight to a shower and then bed (it was 7:30). The next morning at 4 when my husband left for work, he said "You're warm, be sure to take your temperature when you wake up). Well, I didn't really wake up. And my kids knew something was wrong. They made themselves breakfast. And lunch. And when hubby got home at 3, he scooped me up to go to the hospital. I was patient #141 in the waiting room (I made him and the kids leave). After a 2 hour wait, during which I sat in a corner in my sweats and hoodie and bawled, I was diagnosed with influenza A and strep. 104.3 fever. I couldn't move. I couldn't get warm. I hurt everywhere. My head pounded so loud from my heartbeat I thought it would explode (my HR was 147, eek!).
They said it'd be 3-7 days. They should have said 10-14 days. Because FIFTEEN days later, I started to feel better. I also got a secondary bacterial infection in my throat at the end of it.
But you know what, I came out of it with lots of gratitude. HUH?! Yes, gratitude. I somehow managed to do my homework and turn in a paper. And got A's. My kids are old enough to take care of themselves and each other for several days--they didn't destroy the house, and they really CAN spend time together without arguing. My husband is a patient and kind caregiver, bringing me tea and broth and making sure I was ok (while keeping a safe distance). My mom came to entertain and distract the kids, and even took them to the dentist for me. My employer was amazingly supportive and insistent that I stay home. My dog never left my side. And I found a new doctor whom I adore.
So here's to good health in 2013. And to flu shots (yes, I got one. If I hadn't, it would have been worse). OH, and while I have you. PLEASE spread the world that vomiting is not 'the flu.' There is a distinct difference between vomiting for 12 hours and THE FLU. Both suck, but I'll take a one day bug any day over this nightmare!
No comments:
Post a Comment