Monday, November 5, 2007

Football Fakers and Fabulous Favre

I’m no ESPN commentator, but I do know a thing or two about sports. I can hold my own against most of my girlfriends when it comes to keeping up with our guys on who’s who, who’s hot, who’s not and why. Don’t tell my husband, but I’ll even watch games when I’m home alone (except NBA, I hate NBA).

Yesterday, my husband and I enjoyed an ENTIRE day together – just us, no kids. We left our house LONG before the sun came up and headed to Kansas City to watch the Chiefs play the Packers. I’ve always enjoyed watching Brett Favre play football – he’s one of those stunningly handsome men with all the right (football) moves that everyone adores. So I couldn’t resist wearing my Favre jersey to this game. I was nervous at first, but the sea of red had an impressive showing of green, so I wasn’t alone.

During pregame, we sat and ate a burger as the stadium filled up. Two young couples took seats behind us. The men quickly deserted their dates and the girls were left to pretend they knew what they were talking about in the die-hard fan area (every area at Arrowhead is die-hard fan area).

“Ewww, look, I see Brett Favre’s family!” one of them squealed, starting through her bincoluars. “There’s his wife, his dad, and his kids.” An older gentlemen sitting next to them chimed in “His dad is dead.” “Well, maybe it’s his uncle or something.” Yes, sweetie, maybe it is. You keep trying.

A little later, the Chiefs won the coin toss and the Packers kicked off. A play or two into the quarter, still without their dates, one of the ladies says “Where’s #4? I don’t see him! Are they not playing him?” By this time, none of the fans around were willing to teach them that the quarterback only plays during an offensive drive. We all just looked at each other and shook our heads.

Their dates came back for a while, then left again at halftime to get more beer and the girls were left to fend for themselves again. A cell phone rings. “Um, the Green Bays are up 3 to 0, I think,” she says to the caller. A Packers fan next to us turns around and says, “Lady, they are the Packers and they’re up 6 to 0. Get a clue or get out.”

They were apparently not willing to get a clue and disappeared to find their guys. They never came back, which was ok because we got to enjoy watching the Packers win and see Brett defeat the last of the 31 NFL teams, joining Peyton Manning and Tom Brady with this statistic. It was an awesome game, and the sea of red withered in shame as the cheese heads everywhere yelled “GO PACK GO!” giving each other hugs and high fives and we all gave Brett the standing ovation he deserved. Despite the football fakers and taking a beer to the back for daring to wear my Green Bay jersey at Arrowhead, it was an awesome day!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Sounds fun!! And just so you know, sometimes I watch at home alone too - usually only college basketball or NFL games though.