Monday, February 1, 2010

The Chicken or the Egg?

You know that old saying - "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" In our house, the question is, "Which came first, the infection or the vomiting?"

Our son woke up this morning with eyes full of gunky goo and nostrils filled with...well, you know. He was sneezing, and when he sneezed, his head hurt. Yep, you know what it is: a sinus infection.

So, did the infection cause his weekend vomiting, or did the vomiting cause the infection (both are possibilities, as we've encountered both in his lifetime). Off I went to Walgreens to get his medicine - which is on standing order.

Now, I know there are moms out there who ABHOR modern medicine. Many of you will not get antibiotics for your children or yourself unless it is the absolute last resort. But with a child who doesn't have an immune system, medicine is the only solution - otherwise he won't heal - and the infection will creep into his lungs (which it could do anyway).

He asked me this morning, "How come I'm sick again?" I just held him and gave him the biggest hug I could. I don't have that answer. Someday I hope he looks back and recognizes we did the very best we could do to make him healthy and happy every single day.

No comments: