Today as I looked at the Aldi weekly ad, I saw these:
They might look like donuts to you. But to me, they were "Mona Cook."My grandfather laughed every time I said "Mona Cook" until the day he died five years ago (of lung cancer, he was a smoker, don't get me started). When I was about two or three years old, I stood in their kitchen and pointed to the freezer and cried "MONA COOK! MONA COOK!" I remember this - it's not just a story that was passed down. Neither my grandma or grandpa could understand what I meant. Finally, after screaming it for several minutes, my grandpa hoisted me up and I opened the freezer, pulling the donuts out.
"See? Mona Cook!"
What I really was saying was "Donut: Cook!" because that's what I wanted to eat.
It's amazing how an image of something can bring back such memories. I think today I might just have a donut, think of my grandpa and call and tell my grandma just how much I love her.

No comments:
Post a Comment