Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Yes, I'm Sticking To It

I've been working out religiously since October. I feel great about myself. But it's not all positive. Here are some reasons why I know people give up, and why it's crossed my mind more than a few times lately.

* It hurts. Since starting this, my torn anterior abdominal wall muscle has become MORE torn, not less. My goal was to help it heal, make it stronger. I've made it worse.

* It hurts more. I've also now been diagnosed with a torn chest cavity muscle, under my right "girl" and into my under-arm area.

*It keeps hurting. My muscles ACHE. ALWAYS.

*People aren't especially encouraging. They are like "Why don't you slow down or stop? Working out isn't all that it's cracked up to be." They don't get that it's not about becoming a body builder (Which I'm a far cry from), it's about time to myself.

* I'm not losing weight. In fact, I'm gaining weight. Ok, yes, I'm gaining muscle, and "it weighs more." It's true - my clothes aren't getting tighter, they are getting looser. And I have abs for the first time EVER. But it sure would be nice to see the scale move. EVER.

*It's hard to do alone. Yes, I just said, it's about me time. But having a buddy keep you accountable, meeting you there, seeing your progress - that's fun, too. No one ever wants to go with me.

*It's hard to schedule. You have to make yourself go. Doing so means that dinner runs late, baths run later, homework feels rushed, laundry piles up if you don't tackle it out of the dryer and by bedtime, you're toast. No energy for anything.

*It turns you into a complainer. "I'm so sore!" "I'm so tired!" "I can't afford nice gym clothes."

But will I stick with it? YES. Because investing in myself is a good thing. I do have to take it easy for a few weeks until my muscle can rest. But it'll be worth it. It's worth the pain, the scheduling conflicts and more because it gives me self confidence I've always lacked. I don't HATE looking in the mirror. My body and my heart are stronger for my family. So no, I won't be giving up anytime soon.

No comments: