Monday, December 13, 2010

500!

This is my 500th blog post. How did that happen?! It seems like just yesterday, I sat down in my basement at the computer (at my previous house) and wrote about my son's fifth birthday. Now he's 8, my daughter is 5, I live in a different town...where does time go?

Here are just a few random thoughts from the last week or so.

My husband had the horrible stomach flu. He actually thought his appendix was rupturing and begged me to take him to the ER. I did so, and after they determined it was NOT his appendix and "just" the stomach flu, they shot him up with pain meds and anti nausea meds. I then sat in the chair and bawled as I listened to people in other rooms vomiting, hacking and otherwise spreading germs. We were there FOUR HOURS, and to my husband, it felt like 10 minutes. I had my first EVER all-out anxiety attack sitting in that folding chair.

Both my kids got the stomach bug, too. I'm the lone survivor. I hate it when my kids are sick. But this time, since my husband had already had it, I stayed as far away from them as humanly possible. It felt weird not to be the one to clean and fix everything and everyone.

My son's didn't just stop at the stomach flu. At his dr. appt (which follows ANY unusual symptom), he was diagnosed with a "significant" infection - white spots on his eyeballs, throat, nose, ears...not strep, but "something." Antibiotics, steroids, blood work, CT. Sigh.

Even despite a no-pay sick day, my husband and I managed to find funds to first, attend a lovely Christmas wedding of some friends. We even danced. Someone must have drugged my hubby. Then, we went out of town for the day, shopping and had an awesome lunch for our anniversary (which is next week). Being together, just us, helps me to remember the millions of reasons I fell in love, and still love, this man.

While shopping, I tried on a skirt at Eddie Bauer. I came out and he said "WOW." That was all I needed. Didn't matter the cost, I had to buy that skirt. Then, I came out in a pair of pants. "You are so tiny. It's unbelievable." Add these to the bill, please.

My children are totally into Christmas movies this year. We've watched the entire Santa Clause trilogy, Elf, Miracle on 34th Street, Christmas Vacation, Shrek Christmas and Prep & Landing. I love that my kids love Christmas movies. I wonder if they are old enough to appreciate White Christmas. Stay tuned.

Christmas spirit is inching its way in...the first part of December was rough for some reason, but the closer it's getting, the more I can feel it. And with each Advent candle lit, I'm reminded the real reason for the season. And then, how can I do anything BUT smile?

No comments: