When I graduated from college (Bethany College), I was newly married and a new homeowner. My husband wanted to get me a dog. He knew I'd ALWAYS wanted a golden retriever. So I became a mommy to "Bethany" - a new retriever pup whom I LOVED to pieces.She was an awesome dog. I loved her like a baby. When she was six months old, she died of dysautonomia, a birth defect she had that we didn't know about. It was traumatic, heart-breaking and I felt like I'd lost a part of me. She was the first "joint" collaboration between my husband and I. Our "test-run" for kids. And just like that, it was over.
Years later, we adopted Emma. You already know her story. She was a great dog. She was our children's BEST FRIEND. Just awesome.
And then, there was Shelby. It was too soon. We didn't want another dog. And then, there she was in a box in our living room.
I AM HOOKED. I LOVE this dog. She is hands-down MY PUPPY. She loves everyone in our house, but at the end of the day, it's me she lays with. It's me she sits for. She sleeps with me when my husband works nights. When he's home at night, she tries to push him OUT of the bed. If he tries to kiss me, hug me, etc, she jumps on him, letting him know that I belong to HER, not him. ;)
She just turned six months old. She's the same age that Bethany was when she died. The other day, I looked at her and starting crying. My husband knew why. I can't help but wonder if this special little creature is part Bethany, giving us another chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment