Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Back to School Time



No, I’m not that behind.  Although sometimes it feels like it.  I did know that back to school was a month ago, and my kids did have supplies, clothes, shoes and all the other necessary paraphernalia that goes with it to go back to school.

Now it’s MY turn.  Twelve years and 5 months after graduating with two BA’s, I am FINALLY going back to get my Master’s.  It was on my 40 before 40 list, so….I’m actually AHEAD of schedule!  I intended to go to graduate school a few years after graduating.  Then I became a momma, which is reason enough to feel overwhelmed.  But add on the fact that this was a chronically ill baby boy and I was sitting in hospitals, clinics, courtrooms (come on, I know you know those stories)….and SCHOOL was the last thing on my mind. 

Then I became a momma again.  Then I was faced with two chronically/terminally ill parents.  Where does time go??  Well, it goes away.  But the thing is, there’s more of it the very next day if we’re lucky.  And now is the time.  I live in a place where education is a priority.  I work at a major university where academia is part of my daily life.  And I’m thirsty for it.  That means it’s go-time.

I found a great program that fits everything I want. It builds on my liberal arts education, which gives me the foundation to do ANYTHING (In case you missed it, I'm a HUGE liberal arts advocate. I am passionate about the public research university I work for, but I'm also passionate about private, Christian education, which I'm a graduate of...so truly, I'm just really an advocate of ALL higher education!).

I’ll be done in Spring 2014 – just in time for our next building to be started here at the university I work for (which means mega workload, and probably a new staff member to manage).  Just in time for my husband to possibly have his own store to manage (if all goes as planned, fingers crossed).  I’ll graduate the same time as my niece graduates high school (hopefully just not on the same day!). And in time for my son to start 7th grade, and my daughter to start 3rd grade.  GULP.

So, if you witness me going in a downward spiral, it’s because in the next two months, I’ll be starting graduate school and finishing marathon training. Maybe the marathon training was just the right time to prepare me for the next 18 months of this madness I’m embarking upon.  Yet I couldn’t be more excited! (remind me of that when I’m crying over my homework, ok?!)


No comments: