Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Reciprocity

We moved here with the intention of helping everyone around us. Need to go to the doctor? We'll take you. Need us to sit with you at Chemo? We'll bring the snacks. Need us to pick something up at the store? Let the dog out? Clean your house? Yep, we're there.

And we've done all of this (and more). It makes us feel so much better knowing we're here and needed. But there's this thing called reciprocity.

We're lucky to have it.

Thanks to my parents and my husband's parents, our needs are not overlooked. Between the two grandmas, our daughter is cared for so that I can sub. On days when the stars fall out of alignment and the grandmas are unavailable, Papa steps in (volunteering to miss work himself). When I get lost on the way to a school I've never been to, dad answers the call at 6:30am to direct me there. I never have to worry about my son getting taken or picked up from school. Family picks stuff up at the store, prescriptions for our sick kids and drudge through the dark to sit with the "baby" while I take her brother to the ER.

I just want to say thanks to those of you who willingly help us - when we are the ones that are supposed to be here helping you. We know it's not always easy or in your best interest. We're in the same boat. But it's what a family is all about. And there's nothing better. Because when times are hard - Lord knows that's often - it's family who will always have your back (even when their own backs hurt). It's not un-noticed. We love you.

No comments: