Sunday, November 9, 2008

Heart of Worship

Today was "Bethany Sunday" at our church. This service included the College Choir, organist, pianist, other special vocalists and the campus pastor. Since our pastor passed away very suddenly in May, I have not enjoyed going to church - until today. I sat there thinking, "This is how church is supposed to feel." It was happy, motivating, the music made chills run through you, you could feel the pipes of the organs through the pews. As "Children of the Heavenly Father" was sung in Swedish, tears formed. I remembered how wonderful being an alumna of this institution is.

I watched the students and how they carried themselves. I saw them interact with the congregation, take part in every facet of the service (difficult for those who aren't by nature Lutheran), and they filtered into the fellowship hall to share a meal with everyone - dividing themselves amongst the tables so they could visit with the members. You could tell they all had hearts of worship.

Nearly 10 years ago, I was one of these students. Lost and broken at Kansas State, my dad made a call to the admissions office at Bethany and set up an interview. It is a change I never regret making - it was here that I found my own heart of worship...as a professional, a wife, a philathropist, a scholar and now I know, as a mother. This place of learning does more than teach the basics - they teach you about life and how to embrace it. Because of Bethany, I have a heart of worship...and a heart of hope.

No comments: