Sunday, November 2, 2008

Family Fun

Yesterday was one of those days in Kansas that you never get to enjoy. It was 74, no wind, no rain, just sun and warmth. My husband, not knowing this, decided to go in and work overtime from 6am-12. So my children and I went for a long walk. I was supposed to go into work from 3-7, but God smiled on us...my boss called and said they were slow to go and enjoy the day.

YIPPIEEE!!! I mean, oh man, sure wish I could've made that money...

My children announced they wanted to go play mini golf. We headed out to our city's version of a family-fun-center (it was weak, but it worked). We played 18 holes of golf - 12 of which daddy hit the ball in the rough (really?). My daughter got 18 holes-in-one (so she says) and my son won, of course (we wouldn't dream of saying otherwise).

But the REAL fun came with go-carts. Daddy took our 3 yo on a two-seater and she had a ball. Every lap, she waved at her brother and I with a huge smile. Then my 6 yo son decided he'd do rookie-carts by himself. I cannot do this story justice by typing, but I will try.

He got in and tried to hook his seat belt. The guy working told him not to worry about it - to which he looked at him with total panic. But he played along. The guy told him left was brake, right was accel, and to go this direction around the track. Our son took off, going at least 2 mph and at every turn, we watched his total stone-faced expression and kept asking ourselves if he was enjoying himself or was in agony. The guy said "GO FASTER!" and he wouldn't. Just total expressionless face, total concentration...at a rate his sister could have jogged at and beat him.

After about 5 laps, he pulled up to the curb (without being prompted), came to a complete stop (which isn't saying much) and the guy said, "You can go more, you don't have to stop yet." He replied, "That's ok, I'm good." My husband and I were worried he was upset. He walked over to us with his head down, and said "I was going SOOO fast. Did you see me? That was awesome! I had so much fun!!" My husband said, "How fast do you think you were going?" Kiddo replied "Faster than any other car ever. It was totally awesome." My husband and I fell apart...this child never ceases to amaze us.

We finished off the afternoon eating ice cream cones and drinking cherry limeades. The kids never cried, argued or threw fits. It was a family fun day to revel in for a LONG time. As my husband and I laid in bed talking about the day and our son's crazy-wild nature, we laughed until our pillows were soaked. That's what it's all about.

No comments: