Thursday, February 17, 2011

Birds and barks and...blenders?

This dog. She's something. She certainly does fill the void in my heart for wanting another child...only, sadly, she'll grow up and out of our lives faster than a person would. I'm smitten and already can't imagine a day without her. She's the perfect blend of the playfulness we had in our Bethany, and the quirkiness we had in Emma.

Quirky. That's one way to put it. She's a scaredy-cat. That's a better way. First, we discovered she was afraid of cars driving by. Then motorcycles. If she's standing outside going potty, and a car drives by, she runs to the door, mid stream. At first it was cute, but now, she's becoming afraid to pee outside. She doesn't pee inside, per se, she just doesn't pee. Not good.

Well, then it progressed to big dogs barking. Then birds squawking. Sirens.

Then...the blender and the skillet.

This dog is the BIGGEST baby you will ever meet. She wants to be held at all times. She has to sit ON you, not next to you. She lays on her back in your arms, nuzzles your neck, and - I'm not kidding - she coos. And when she's scared, which is a lot, she SCREAMS. It's like a yelp - her mouth is open - but it's one long sound. It's a scream.

I love her, there's no doubt. But she'd better toughen up.

Because I'm not giving up my smoothies (I'll just make them when she's outside, with the scary birds, I guess!).

No comments: