Monday, November 21, 2011

Last call..

We packed up the final items. As I look around, all I see are boxes and misplaced furniture. The beds are stripped. The cars are loaded. I'm full of excitement and anticipation of what awaits us. It's hard to imagine that tonight, we'll be sleeping in our new house.

Living these changes has been a whirlwind. But from what I'm told, witnessing it has been the fun. It was the beginning of September when my husband said "Let's move." I said, "Sure, why not? Get a job." So he did. A kick-a&# one. And on September 16, on the FINAL day of the position being open, I applied for a job.

Today is November 21. It's been barely two months since "the declaration." Here's the timeline:

  • Hubby moved into his uncle's house on October 15 and started his new job the 17th.
  • We put our house on the market October 15
  • We were given the opportunity to stay in Uncle's house - it was coming off the market on Oct. 31 and they'd had no serious offers.
  • On October 29, their house sold. Uh....
  • Found a house within BLOCKS of the job I applied for, but they'll only hold it for us until Friday...
  • Found out on FRIDAY that I got the job I wanted. Signed the lease on the house. ;)
  • Only ONE spot left in the kindergarten class at the school NEXT DOOR to my job before reaching limit and having to out-district. We got it. (1.5 minute commute)
  • Chiropractor and immunologist recommended to us for our son - 4 miles from house.
  • The final piece of the puzzle - selling our house. Today is the day we move. We sold our house on Friday. We were hoping to cut it a little closer, but figured what the heck.
  • The movers will arrive in two hours.
I'm telling your folks, when we were living it, it was pretty neat. But every person who has watched it happen has said it was absolutely the will of God each and every step. And now that I have a moment to sit and reflect on it, I see it so clearly. God just kept saying..."Here you go. Next?" And answered EVERY.SINGLE.PRAYER.

Of course I'm sad to leave my friends, family and job here. My doctors, my colleagues. My house that I've poured love and energy (and lots of money) into the last few years. But the time we spent here was absolutely worth it. Our son is doing better than EVER in his life. My mom is doing outstanding. My grandma is safely and happily living in her new assisted living community. My dad, while he isn't doing GREAT, he is ok...and he's excited to have a place to come visit. I had a job that I loved, with people whom I adored. Every step aided the next step.

Our son's teacher sent him a note that said "Sometimes, life just gives you opportunities you can't pass up, and you have the embrace them with everything you have." I'm shedding tears today - partly because leaving my folks and grandma a few hours away will be tough. But the tears are also of joy -that my husband and I have stuck through a lot of MUCK and CRUD - financially, physically, emotionally - and through it all, have stayed a unified force, for each other, our kids, our families. I'm proud of us. Next month, we'll celebrate 12 years of marriage, and it's been amazing, even in the "worse." We've tried to do better for ourselves every step of the way, and now we've been handed this incredible opportunity to embrace, and we're going to do it with gusto.

It's time for the next chapter. I can't wait to see what God is going to write next...

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Great post. What a cool story. Enjoy your new journey!!