Monday, May 28, 2012

Ah, summer.

I usually could pretty much care less that it's summer.  Things don't usually feel that different to me.  But this summer is TOTALLY different.

1.  We don't have family in the same town.  This means....daycare.  We found a lovely high schooler willing to come to our home part time this summer, starting tomorrow.  She's a lifeguard (score) and is going to be an early ed major (holler!).  She'll be with the kids off and on.

2.  Because we can't afford to pay said lovely high schooler full time, the kids will be spending time in their hometown.  This means two weeks IN A ROW in June, and full weeks in July and August.  Other times, my mom will be here helping us (vacation for her!).  I'm not sure what we'll do without our children for TWO WEEKS at a time.  Four days is the longest we've been away from them prior.

3.  This time last year, we were in Las Vegas on our second trip in thirteen years as a couple.  It was HEAVEN.  This year, we won't be so lucky.  Between our move, my husband's job loss, etc.  the money just isn't there.  :(  Funny thing though - we also came here on "vacation" with our kids the last two summers for long weekends.  We ate out, swam, went to movies, fun stores, etc.  Now we LIVE HERE.  The kids have said numerous times that it feels like we live on vacation.  I concur - especially this weekend....

4.  Which we have spent pool side nearly nonstop.  Before, I was super OCD about the pool.  But we eased into it...one hour, then 1 1/2, then 2, then 3.  Today, we went TWICE.  It's about 100 paces from our backdoor.  It's heaven.  I'm spoiled.  And we've made new friends, which is icing on the cake.

This summer will feel different in a lot of ways.  But I'm ready.  Hubby is working (a LOT), but we'll catch up that way.  The kids are excited to play with their "nanny," and hang with their grandparents. We're kind of excited to try out couple-hood, sans kids, for a bit - will we sleep all night?  Will we go out?  Will we watch a movie uninterrupted?  Weird.

Summer?  Yeah.  Bring it.

No comments: