Saturday, August 10, 2013

Yes, I'll say it again.

I love living here.  Last night, we went to the Bruno Mars concert.  This morning, I stopped at my husband's Starbucks for breakfast on the way to pick up my race packet -- I'll be running the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure tomorrow.  After the race, we're headed to watch our Royals in their wildcard chase. These are things we never would have thought about when we lived elsewhere.  The bliss I feel living here, just driving down the road, warms my heart.  Everyone loves different things, and to some, Starbucks, racing with 22,000 people and a baseball game doesn't sound one bit fun (seriously? why not?), but it's MY life.  And I have NO idea why we waited so long to allow ourselves permission to live it.

It has also taught me a lesson as a parent.  When my kids are older and deciding on colleges, where to live, work, etc. I will NOT do everything in my power to keep them in my reach.  (Although, they have pretty much they'd ever want right here!)  But, I know now that allowing your kids the freedom to discover their destinies and follow God's path for them is just what you have to do for them.

For now, I'll keep them close.  But one day, I know they'll probably venture off.  And if it's far away, well, then I'll have a cool new place to go visit!


1 comment:

Casey said...

Great post, Kristi!! And very timely, as I move to SoCal in less than two weeks and leave my oldest daughter here in Central KS to follow the path she believes is before her. I will tell you that it is easier in theory than it is in practice. So I hope that by practicing it, I will eventually be a better person. Good luck on your 5k tomorrow. Beautiful places to run in California! Plan your trip soon!