Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Story You Choose

The date for my surgery has been set and now I'm doing my best to get through each day without thinking about it until the day before (yeah, right). But at every turn, people who know are saying "I heard that hysterectomies are the hardest surgery to recover from" and "my mom/sister/aunt/friend had one and said it was so terrible" followed by "Good luck" (with a slight hint of sarcasm).

GULP.

But the other day, a superb lady that I play Bunco with offered a different story. She told me that she had one at 28 and within 2 weeks, her quality of life was so vastly improved that even the recovery seemed minimal and she was back at work within 3 weeks. She told me I would never regret it, I will have wished I did it sooner and it will make my world so much better.

THAT is the story I choose.

On the same day, a former colleague out of the blue contacted me to catch up. When the chat turned to my health issue, she paused. Like so many people in my life who know the CONSTANT challenges my family seems to face, I figured she'd say "Will things ever get better for you?" or something to that extent - like I haven't ever thought it. Instead, she said, "Each day, your children see you demonstrating strength and through these challenges, you are modeling your faith. They see it - and they, too will embody it."

To these women who encourage and support me, who offer words of caring insightfullness and hope - thank you. Thank you for allowing me to choose my story.

1 comment:

A Busy Mom's life said...

Those people who tell you the horrors are total boors. I am actually a little envious. I would love to not have the monthly "visit" to deal with. It always seems to happen when we are traveling, on holidays, or whatever. Enjoy your new freedom!