This evening, my home is filled with the sounds of my children playing together (nicely, without fighting). The muffled sound of inaugration coverage is on the TV, my phone is quiet. My husband is making his to-do list for tomorrow. Laundry is piled high, the dishwasher needs emptied and there are bags to unpack. Pancakes have been eaten on paper plates, and American Idol is about to start. These are simple gifts tonight. My son is home from the hospital.
This is the first overnight stay he's had since April 2008 - the longest run we've ever had. Sure, he's had day trips, but no overnighters. Yet, when we checked in, nurses fought over my son. They all took turns coming in. His favorite nurse, Carrie, came from home to start his IV because he asked her to. Our room had a VCR, a couch, recliner, microwave and fridge and extra care was taken to make sure our needs were met. Our son is one special little boy.
Each day, I thank the Lord for my children. As I face my event two weeks from today, it's even more apparent the blessings they are to me. If I'd waited until I was older, more settled, had a stable career, had less debt, had my masters, (you fill in the blank) - I would not have these - or any - children. And while the stress of caring for my family is financial, emotional and physical - and it's also a miracle. And as I sat and watched my son sleep in his hospital bed the last 24 hours, watched my husband be an amazing father, and slept cuddled up with my daughter - I got gentle, necessary reminders that these sweet, simple gifts in my life are to be cherished.
No comments:
Post a Comment