Our children have had us rolling in laughter lately (followed by tears of pain from me). Here are some of the goings-on at our house.
Yesterday, “Happy Bear” came to visit my son’s class to talk about sexual abuse and strangers – who it is and isn’t ok to trust, how to tell a trusted adult you’ve been hurt, etc. When I asked him how this went, he went into the following monologue:
“Well, first when the babysitter is making cookies and she touches you bad, there’s a guy with a car who lost his puppy and you tell him you can’t get in because the sitter has these cookies. But when you tell your mom, she says it’s not ok to take cookies – or is it candy- from strangers. Or sitters. Unless they aren’t strangers. Then it’s ok.” I was rolling on my daughter’s bed in a fit of laughter at his animation and the flow of this story. I knew he didn’t have it right. Ok, so maybe that wasn’t the most supportive way to react, but you have to know my son.
“I’ll start over.” And he did, and it made total sense and I was very proud of him for being able to talk openly about it without feeling weird. However, on his list of trusted people, he included Daddy, Grandma, Papa, and Uncle Steve. No mommy. “Oops,” he said. “I’ll add a line.”
Now, my daughter, who is three, is into playing “House” (not the doctor show). Whether it’s a dolly, a stuffed animal (usually a bunny) or her brother’s transformers, they all have a role in the family. Lately, she is the mom, her brother is the dad, I am the grandma (ouch) and daddy is usually a cousin or uncle.
It would have been easier to have had another baby. Or maybe we could have adopted a dog from the shelter. I change diapers, clean up pee off the floor, feed the bunny, feed the baby, put the baby in a seatbelt, give the bunny a bath….you get the idea. The other day, I lost it. “I AM NOT A GRANDMA! I DO NOT CLEAN PEE OFF THE FLOOR! THIS BABY IS NOT REAL!” (then I threw the bunny and the baby on the floor.) Again, not very supportive of me, but I had just had enough imaginary play and wanted to be the mom again.
She looked at me and said, “Well, you could have just said that to begin with. We were just playing.” And then, here’s the kicker, she said, “DUH!”
Good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment