I'm home and alive after the WORST surgery I have ever had. For those who don't know me well, in my 29-years (almost 30) of life, I've had a total of four major surgeries now - all in the last 4 years! MCL knee tear fix, c-section, tubal/ablation, and now hysterectomy.
With my knee, I threw up a bit. "It's the codeine," they said and switched me to tylenol. After my c-section, I threw up a bit more. "It's the morphine," they said and switched me to tylenol. After the ablation/tubal, there was no throwing up - only MRSA to deal with. But this time, OH MY GOD, throwing up that felt like my insides were being ripped out of me. They tried oxycotin, percoset, darvocet, demerol, loritab - every one made me sicker than the one before. So here I am, 8 inches of cutting, 20 staples - and TYLENOL. Does it hurt? Is the sky blue?
The lesson here is - SAY NO TO DRUGS. I'd rather be in extra pain and nausea free than puking any day of the week. My doctor told me he wouldn't analyze the whole "like feeling pain" theory, but did say I looked better in pain than as a narcotic zombie.
Then he softened the whole experience by revealing that he did a surprise tummy tuck. "You're an ideal candidate - thin, lean, take good care of yourself." HELLO - this is the doctor that three years ago told me I was a whale. Ok, he didn't say that. But he did say that it was in my best interest to trim down "while I was young." What a note of acknowledgment of my hard work - losing a total of 70 pounds and going from a 20 to an 8 in that time frame. That was a pat on the back of a lifetime.
So now the healing begins. My husband is awesome. He's taking care of it all - not quite like I would - but I'm stepping back and letting it be. The kids are fine, the house is fine, people are bringing us food (thank you), and each day will get better. The bruises will heal, the bikini will get purchased and the pain will subside. Those will be great times.
In the meantime, tylenol and naptime is my friend. Never forget, SAY NO TO DRUGS.
1 comment:
Good to see your humor is back! :)
Post a Comment