Sunday, November 29, 2009

Little Mommy


Living with her "baby brother" who has dealt with health issues since she can remember has made our 4 year old daughter a second mommy to our 7 year old son. Especially this week, we've seen this personality trait really take hold.

This little girl tests me in every possible manner. She is a spit-fired, red-headed ball of energy who thinks everything has to be her way and on her time. But when our son was at his worst moment, laying on the bathroom floor puking and bawling, I knelt down and said right into her eyes, "You have to help mommy. I need you to go get dressed so that I can take your brother to the hospital." She turned around and ran.

She ran straight into her room and I ran to mine, throwing clothes on frantically. She came to me a few minutes later, dressed head to toe (in a very cute outfit!), and her hair was brushed. Next thing I knew, she had a bowl for her brother to take in the car (which he used several times), and she'd gathered things to take to Grandma's. She even got shoes and socks out for her brother.

Yesterday, when grandma brought her home, she ran straight past me and into her brother's room to check on him. Last night, she made sure that we remembered to give him his medicine. This morning, she ran and closed his bedroom door so that no one would wake him. When I found a random nasal aspirator in my bathroom drawer, she said "I'll go suction him!" Ok, that's a little TOO helpful, but still, pretty cute.

Having a big brother who needs a little extra attention and work has meant that sometimes she gets stuck in the shadows. But we make sure to praise her for every little thing possible, so she knows just how much we love and value her - especially when she's showing her love for her brother. I can't think of any reason to be prouder of a child than to see their instinctive compassion for someone. So for every button she pushes, she finds another soft spot in our hearts.

No comments: