Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Naive Genius

That's quite an oxymoron, isn't it? Naive Genius?

My "day job" is as the public relations coordinator for our public library, which serves a community of about 55,000 people. It involves all aspects of PR and marketing - in all media as well as activities, programs, outreach, etc. I send out at least one press release to our media outlets a day - sometimes up to five. Yesterday, I sent out "Santa Letters."

Each year, kids in the community can mail letters to Santa in a special mailbox at the Library and Santa replies to each and every one of them - usually around 300 over a 3 week time span.

So this morning, as our 7 year old son was reading the newspaper over breakfast (doesn't that sound funny? But it's so true!), he saw this article in the paper.

He gasped. "MOM! DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?!"

I just shook my head. "Don't you listen to me when I talk about what I do at the Library?" I asked. And then I explained that I wrote that article.

"So," he asked. "Did Santa call you or did you call him to arrange this?"

I told him that we have a standing arrangement with Santa, so I didn't really have to talk to him. He just knows he'll get letters from kids at the Library and promises to write every kid back.

"Whoa," he said. Then he wrote his letter. "Since you go there EVERY DAY, can you take my letter for me?" I told him it didn't start until Nov. 27.

"But since you work there, and KNOW Santa, maybe you could send it in early for me!"

So, the letter is on my desk - and Santa will soon have it in hand.

Gotta love my little naive genius.

No comments: