Thursday, May 6, 2010

An Hour of Stillness

Last night at baseball practice, something happened that I didn't expect to. I enjoyed sitting still for an entire hour. There was nothing for me to do. No cleaning, laundry, cooking, planning, bill paying, etc. I just sat there and watched my son play baseball. It helped that it was an absolutely gorgeous evening - and that he's awesome at baseball (therefore not painful to watch!). However, in the midst of that hour, I did think. Here are some of my innermost thoughts from the hour of stillness:

1. I seriously need to get some gear. His shoes are destroyed from the dirt. We must stock up on bugspray and sunscreen. We must bring something for our 4 year daughter to do. We must get a water bottle for him that doesn't have the hospital logo on it. We need to remember lawn chairs so our butts don't hurt from the bleachers.

2. There are more girls than boys on his team. Girls don't like to get hit by baseballs. My boy doesn't mind hitting a girl with a baseball. "You need to get behind the ball! Don't be afraid of it!" he yelled to his catching partner (a petite girl). She got behind it all right. Then got hit square on the thigh by his curve ball. Speaking of girls on his team - my sister was the first girl to play Knights of Columbus baseball EVER. She opened the door for these girls. Cool.

3. There may be a future for my son in sports. Ok, ok. It's the first practice, I know. BUT, he's played golf, baseball and tennis now. And he's been either the best, or nearly the best, at each one. He has a knack for athleticism, which sucks for him because of his condition. You should see him throw a spiral.

4. A coach is not needed when my son is there. He knows it all. "Put your hands closer together on the bat!" "Bring your left foot forward and stand square." "Bring up your elbow." "Swing sooner - don't hit in your back swing!" All things my son shouted at others playing - from his position in left field. Loud enough that everyone could hear him.

5. Self esteem is not an issue. Yet at the end of the practice, his selflessness came through. "Good job, Coach!" he said. "Great hit, Kara!" "You did great, Owen" and he was high-fiving everyone. That's my boy.

6. I miss Blake. Blake is our nephew that is in the Air Force, stationed at Peterson AFB in Colorado. It wasn't that long ago we sat on the bleachers rooting for him. I realized how much I missed him when our son's coach said he was a retired Air Force battalion commander. Sigh.

7. Mother's day is coming up - and I have the best children in the world. After practice, even though she'd been eaten my bugs and already sunburned with her pasty white skin and red hair, she hugged her brother and said "Great Job!" He hugged her back and said, "Thanks for being here." (Like she had a choice). Still - wow.

No comments: