Monday, May 3, 2010

Laugh It Off

This weekend, I started keeping notes of all the adorable little things my four year old daughter said that made me have to reapply my make up. Have I ever mentioned how totally adorable she is?!

It started off on Friday evening, after I returned from kickboxing class. I told my family that the instructor had had too many red bulls before class because she was a maniac and I would be sore from the workout. My daughter says, "I have red bulls."

"Um, excuse me?"
"Yeah, I have red bulls at grandma's. She gives them to me in the play house."
At this, my husband's ears perk up and he turns on interrogator voice.
He asks, "Why does grandma give you red bulls? How many does she give you?"
"Usually three or four," she says.
"Why do you have red bulls at all?" I interject. "They aren't for kids."
"Why not, I like them."

Hubs and I are starting to panic and are about ready to pick up the phone and call grandma.

Then I say, "Does grandma have red bulls too?"
"No," she said. "Grandma doesn't really like them."
"What do you do with them? Do you drink them fast?"
"Drink them? No, silly. You eat cereal out of them!"

Red BOWLS!!
This prompted a conversation about the difference between saying BOWL and BULL. This lead to her not being able to differentiate between SCHOOL and SKULL. Yet, she says PORCH like it has four syllables. She's so cute!

Later, she was eating honeyloupe. I'll let you guess what that is.

At church yesterday, during communion (we were kneeling at the altar rail), the pastor came up to her to bless her, and he always gives the kids a handful of goldfish crackers. In the middle of her blessing, she said "What's that?" to the pastor. "It's bread," he whispered. "White or wheat?" she asked. "Wheat." "How do you know?" she said. "Because I made it," he replied. "I thought it was Jesus." OOPS - she got him!

This morning, she was eating cereal out of a bull, er, bowl as her brother was bopping a balloon around the kitchen. She said something to him about using her balloon if his wasn't staying full of air. He replied,

"No, I'm wearing my flip flops to school."

HUH?! I still haven't figured that conversation out. But it made us laugh out loud until our sides hurt.

My face hurts from listening to my kids this weekend. Letting myself out of my head long enough to hear how cute, innocent and awesome they are made me smile even bigger. Sometimes, you gotta just laugh it off.

No comments: