Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vegas Vibes


I've been trying to get the Vegas Vibes flowing through my body. In less than two weeks, we'll be on our way to our first adult-only, no kids, no work vacation/honeymoon in THIRTEEN YEARS. I'm beside myself with excitement. And fear. I'm having trouble sleeping. The vibes are turning into visions/nightmares. This isn't supposed to happen.

  • I'm afraid we'll get lost and spend all of our time just trying to get back to where we need to be, thus ruining our trip.
  • What if we get separated? Sure, we'll have cell phones. But in those behemoth buildings, we're bound to get separated, and I HATE HATE HATE being alone in a place I don't know.
  • If our kids get sick/hurt while we're gone, the whole trip might as well get flushed down the toilet. There is NO WAY I will be able to enjoy myself knowing my kids need me. I trust my folks. I have backup antibiotics for the kids. But do you know my son?
  • Once when we left for a weekend, our dog freaked out when someone came to take care of her and she bolted. Far away. Never to be found. Until I came right back home, searched and found her myself. She was hidden in bushes - no one could have found her but me. What if she revisits this adventure?
  • What if we get robbed?
  • I'm afraid I'll turn into a lobster in the desert sun and not be able to move. Even with SPF 100, I burn. It's a curse. I'm American Indian, for crying out loud - that isn't supposed to happen!
  • It's vacation, I know. I shouldn't worry about calories. I want to eat, and enjoy eating. But I know that I won't be able to. I think about the calories, fat and fiber content. It's the weight watchers way of life.
  • I've had nightmares that people laugh at me and point at me in my 2-piece swimsuit. It's silly, I know. I've earned this figure. But it's still laden with "battle scars" (aka stretch marks). I know worse looking people wear 2-piece suits. I don't want to be "one of those people" though. Will I chicken out?
Do you see, people, why we never travel? I'm sure it'll be fine. And the closer we get, the more the excitement takes over the fear. But I know in the end, it'll be worth it. I need this time with my husband. I need it for me. Bring it on.

No comments: