Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A shot is a shot is a shot

Today, I got a flu shot. I did it for my son.

Monday, our daughter got a flu shot. She did it for her brother. But also because we told her she had to. But she didn't like it very much. Ok, that's an understatement. She SCREAMED. BLOODY. MURDER. until the nurse finally said, "I can't safely inject this child." After my husband finally talked her down from her near-seizure state, she finally got it (Let the record show that was the FIRST time in her LIFE that she shed a tear while getting a shot).

My son got a flu shot. He got it because he doesn't have a choice. And he just sat there. He didn't flinch. Maybe that's because he realizes there's no point. I wished that I had a notebook to record every single poke of a needle this child has received in his 8 1/2 years. It would make anyone queasy. And it is only on the VERY rare occasion that you see a tear or hear a complaint. It's a good thing he's a trooper. We got word yesterday that his allergy shots, with an added immunoglobulin component, will be given twice weekly beginning next week. Each visit will be THREE shots. That's six shots a WEEK. They said when his arms got too scarred, they'd alternate with his legs.

So today, when I told him I was getting a shot. He said, "Good. It's about time." To him, a shot is a shot is a shot - it doesn't matter why he gets it, or who gives it to him. His situation has led him to understand that they are necessary and just plain part of life. He may not like it, but why bother complaining?

Maybe next week when daddy gets his, he'll get the same "Good, it's about time" from our little man. Or maybe the same pep talk from our daughter that he gave her. No matter what, he'll get it too. He gets it because, well, he makes the serum - might as well set the standard!

Who are you getting yours for?

No comments: