
I'm reading the book "365 Thank Yous: The year a simple act of daily gratitude changed my life" and am getting more and more inspired every day. The bare-bones premise of this book is that after hitting rock bottom, John begins wondering if he took just 10 minutes a day to write a note to someone who was important to him, or heck, even the Starbucks guy who helped him that morning, if the positive karma that ensued would change him.
Even before I start reading, I had resolved to write our nephew, Blake, at his post in Afghanistan with the USAF, at least once a week until he comes home. I also had vowed to write more hand-written notes, and fewer facebook posts, in order to talk to people. I miss writing. Actually writing, not typing.
And then this book caught me. And I'm hooked. I started writing a list of the people I could write notes to. Within minutes, I had nearly 30 people that rolled right off my brain, who in some way, even a SMALL way, make a difference in my life every day. And I thought, yeah, I should write them a note.
Chances are, you are one of the people who will get a note. Yep, all 3 of you who read this blog. Because YOU make a difference to me, yes you do. Who else made the list?
*my kids - YES, I plan to write notes to my kids and put them by the bed, in their lunch boxes, at the dinner table. They inspire me, they encourage me, they keep me going
*my husband - 13 years later, he continues to work hard everyday for this family, he continues to love us, defend us and praise us - his love for me is unmatched, and I do appreciate him
*my son's doctors - simply put, they are HEROES
*my colleagues - they make going to work every day a JOY, and that is a rare thing in this world
*the vet - in Emma's final days, and in the days after, their support and love were awesome
*former professors - their guidance made me who I am today
*church friends - their prayers are felt, and DO make a difference. I KNOW it.
*my workout buddies - enough said
*educators and administrators at our school - we have an AMAZING school, they need to know what a huge deal that is to us
*family members - they are unsung heroes when it comes to love & support - emotionally, financially, physically
Even if you never get around to writing the note, I encourage you to take a few minutes to write a list of the people who make a difference in your life. I'll bet you can't walk away without a few tears, and most definitely, a smile. Post your list somewhere where you'll see it everyday. It just might change your outlook when you need it the most.
No comments:
Post a Comment