Friday, August 26, 2011

Traditions

I've been thinking a lot about traditions in my family. I realize that we had lots of them growing up, even though at the time I didn't even recognize that that's what they were. Here are some of my favorites:

1. Eating at the Carousel restaurant on my birthday. There are no pictures of it that I can find, but it was something. There was a HUGE, full size carousel INSIDE the restaurant, which I remember being a buffet, but I could be wrong. I remember we'd dress up and I got to take a special friend.

2. Taco Night on Mondays. My folks do this still today - and my kids get to enjoy it now and then when they are there.

3. We would all go see a movie on Christmas. Sounds weird, doesn't it? But it was so fun. I remember seeing "Christmas Vacation" and "My Cousin Vinny" to name a couple.

4. My grandpa used to give us grandkids commemorative coin sets every year for Christmas, boxed beautifully from the Denver Mint. I have each and every one to this day.

5. Each grandgirl got a custom made cedar chest from my grandpa upon high school graduation. Even though he was gone already when the youngest graduated, he'd had the foresight to have hers made and purchased, ready for her. She was so worried she wouldn't get one. But he was pretty amazing. I sure do miss him.

Then there are the traditions that I'm establishing in my own home, with my own children now. I wonder if they will remember them one day.

1. Heart-shaped, made from scratch pancakes on the first day of school and on their birthday mornings (this was taken this Wednesday).

2. Popcorn and M & M's - we have this for movies. We have it just because. It's our thing.

3. When Adam and I go somewhere, which isn't very often, and we leave the kids for a couple of days, we package up little gifts for each day, for each child, to open as a reminder of how much we love them. They are silly little things usually, but they treasure them.

4. The hill after church - one Sunday a month (sometimes we bend and do it more), we drive the opposite, long way home from church and zoom fast over a little hill. It makes the kids have to "Hold their tummy" because it feels like the roller coaster tickle! Then we stop at the gas station and head to the park (depending on the weather) and enjoy a soda or hot chocolate, and (sometimes) a krispy kreme donut. ;)

5. Pizza in the hotel. Whenever we take a trip with the kids, one evening somewhere along the way, we always order pizza in the hotel and watch it on the beds watching something on TV.

6. Homemade hot chocolate for Christmas light viewing. It's also mandatory that we were our pajamas. This is a tradition that I had growing up and that we do with our kids now.

What traditions do you have with your family? Cherish them. Grow them. Never forget.

No comments: