This evening as my kids and I were driving around town getting last minute things for daddy's 30th birthday, my son said, "I'm glad we moved here."
I didn't really respond, I just thought to myself, "me too" as I thought about all the trials we have endured in our decade-long marriage. Ten years ago at the ripe ages of 20, we got married and started chasing our dreams. We never dreamed that a decade into it and at 30 (gasp), we'd be BACK in our hometown - a town we couldn't wait to leave.
Yet here, we have finally found "normalcy." My kids are taken to and picked up from school by their grandparents (that's the way it should be, right?). Daycare is history. I have a MALL! I have more than 3 places to order dinner from on birthday nights! I picked up ingredients for tiramisu, a DQ cake, papa murphys pizza, and went to hallmark all in one trip - with my kids - not on a weekend. And all of this after seeing my mom over lunch and visiting with my inlaws when I picked the kids up. Last night was dinner with my husband's family - and it wasn't even a holiday - it was just - Sunday. I work at an amazing establishment with people who truly care about me and my family. It's a job I pinch myself every day that I have and love.
It's amazing to me that our marriage, health, and mental stability lasted through all of the hugely emotional and trying challenges we endured in our 20's. We're starting our 30's in a very good place - maybe not where we wanted to be financially. But we'll look back at 30 and know that this was the year that we turned it all around. It's the year we figured it out. It's the year we quit settling and REALLY started chasing our dreams - being who we are, where it feels right.
1 comment:
I feel like I could have written this post! There is nothing better than being "home".
Post a Comment