Last night, our seven year old son had an eye doctor appointment. It was supposed to have been last week on the day after his infusion, but I couldn't bear to take him to ANOTHER doctor, so I postponed it. The next afternoon, his eyes turned beat red. It was the doctor gods punishing for canceling. Kind of like the money gods who make your furnace die the day after you get a bonus. I don't really believe in these gods, but it makes me feel better to think this way, at least.
Anyhow, the eye doctor. So he sits down and the doctor goes through all of the lights, prisms, looking in his eyes, measuring his corneas, etc. Piece of cake. Then he puts the letters on the wall. "Can you read those letters for me - the lowest row you can."
"T, X, Z, A, E" he says.
"Good," the doctor replies.
"Hey, T to X is four letters and X to Z is two letters, which is the square root of 4. And then Z to A is only one letter, which is half of two and then A to E is back to four letters. It's like a pattern."
The doctor just looked at him. Then he looked at me. "Yes, well, good job! I'd never noticed that before."
Who is this child that I created? How did he do that?
Then the next step. "Ok, I'm going to show you two sets of letters. Is it easier to see one...or two? One...or two? One...or two?"
No answer.
"Can you see it better in the first or second?" the doctor reiterates.
Still no answer.
"What's wrong, hon?" I ask. "Can't you tell which is better - the first or second set of letters?"
He replied, "They look the same to me."
"Why didn't you say that, then?" I asked.
"Because he asked which was BETTER...one or two, and neither is better. So I just didn't answer."
Yep, he's definitely 7, even if he channels Doogie Howser.
No comments:
Post a Comment