Saturday, January 9, 2010

A glimpse of the future? I hope so.


My daughter and I stopped in to see my grandmother this afternoon. She is 87 and still is AMAZING. Even with health issues the last couple of years, she's still going 87 mph. That's slower than her usual 110, but I'm still impressed every day.

It was about 1:30 when we stopped in. She'd just "whipped up" some homemade chicken noodle soup from "this and that" she had in her pantry, fridge and freezer. She also pulled out some pineapple cake "she had happened to make" the day before. Granted it had nuts in it, and I'm allergic (I had to remind her...again) and I couldn't partake, but my daughter did. She also made hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream for the little one.

As we sat and chatted about the peonies she was growing in a pot in her kitchen, my aunt happened to stop in on her way to see her folks. She doesn't tell my grandma when she's coming, because grandma would go to a bunch of work making her food. Nice, try, auntie.

So she went to work again, and "threw together" a turkey sandwich and veggie sticks for my aunt, followed by hot tea and some homemade chocolate chip cookies from the freezer.

As I sat in awe, as I usually do when I'm with grandma, I thought "Will there ever be a day when I can feed an army that drops by my house without having to send someone to the store with a lengthy list?"

As I was going home, my husband called to tell me that his brother and his wife were coming to dinner. I said "No problem, I have everything I need to make picante chicken!"

I came home and got to work on brownies, the picante chicken and rice and corn.

My husband is at the store now getting guacamole, queso and pop.

I'm a third of the way there. Given that I'm 30, I think I'm right on track.

No comments: