Thursday, January 14, 2010

Delicious!

Monday morning when I arrived at work, I found the following note on my desk:

"You're doing a wonderful job of increasing awareness of library services. Part of our outrageous success in 2009 was people being aware of our library and what is going on here. And that's because of your efforts and creativity." - and it was signed by the director of the library, aka "the boss" whom calls when my son is in the hospital, brought me food when I had surgery and takes me - and every other employee - to lunch on their birthdays, work anniversaries, and so much more.

I applied for this job four years ago, when we were thinking of moving back to our hometown. Then I found out I was pregnant and we couldn't sell our house - so despite wanting it badly, I withdrew my application and rejected the offer.

Flashfoward three years and here I was - back in my hometown, with a house, my daughter was three and I saw the ad in the paper. How lucky am I that this job opened up again - like God literally holding the door open for me. I've been here a year and it feels like a week. I love my job.

When you love your job, and the people you work with every day, I think it makes life just a little tastier overall. For the first time in my career, I have full creative responsibility for my work. I can leave for appointments with my children, attend school parties, have lunch with my husband or run a quick errand - with the full support of my colleagues. And I still get my work done. And done well, apparently. How great does that make me feel? You wouldn't believe. And the fact that I love my job means that I'm happier when I go home - and that's good for everyone. It doesn't matter that I work for a non-profit and make less than some of my friends with corporate jobs...it doesn't matter one bit. And when I say that, I now actually believe it.

So despite the stresses of a chronically ill child, medical bills I may never get paid off, financial burdens and so much more on my daily plate...life is a little more delicious. For the first time in more than a decade of a career, I can have my cake and eat it too. :)

No comments: