In my last post, I mentioned having to move my grandma into a skilled nursing facility. That is done now, and a part of me has died. While the room itself isn't bad, the situation is. The people, the environment, the sounds and smells - God bless nurses who work in these facilities. My grandma has always been a strong, independent woman. To be in a place like this is going to either crush her spirit, or REALLY motivate her to get out.
And when she DOES get to go home, then what?
Well, I have a thought. It's just an inkling of a thought, and it's pretty hair-brained, but it could just work. What if we sell our house, sell my parents' house, sell my grandma's house, and all buy a big, nice house together?
Close your mouth, it's not that crazy! Multi-generational living makes sense (if all the parties get along of course, which we do). My husband grew up with his parents, his siblings, nephew, a cousin, and his grandma - and the occasional friend or traveling family member. And they had a house HALF the size of our current house. So the idea of buying a 2000+ square foot house for 7 people isn't that crazy. Sure, we'd need 5-6 bedrooms, 3-4 bathrooms, 3 garages...but that's really not hard to find. I know because I've been looking.
Think of the benefits of living together. We're there to help Grandma. We're there to help my folks. When our son gets sick and we dart of to the hospital, the little one is tucked into bed right there in the house with everyone else. One cable bill. One water bill. One grocery bill. On electric bill. I can maintain one yard instead of three. My kids would get the amazing benefit of having time with their great-grandmother, a captive audience, to listen to their every word (which she does, with joy).
My husband and I are all over this idea. Sure there is lots to consider. A lot of peripheral people would be involved - my uncle, my sister - we'd have to think of the future, like what happens when grandma, mom or dad pass away - but I still think it's an idea worth considering.
No comments:
Post a Comment