Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Kill the Cable!

My husband has been trying to convince me for a while now that we should "kill the cable." Every issue of WIRED pushes harder and harder for it. His forums and tweeting friends push harder and harder for it. The peer pressure finally got him. And me.

So yesterday, he killed our cable. And all the joy and excitement of the children in our house.

When the kids came home from school, their world had been turned upside down. No more Nick Jr. No more Disney. No more ESPN. And no phone? WHAT?

From the living room, we hear "Sigh." A little bit later, "SIgh." And later still "SIGH." Our son comes into the kitchen. "What are we now, Great-Grandma?" And then, getting ready for bed, he said "You just HAD to kill the cable."

After going to bed, he came back out, "What if you or daddy has an emergency and you're lying on the floor dead and I need to call 911? We don't have a phone." We explained we'll keep our cell phones where they would know where to find them. And that if we were dead, he wouldn't have to call 911 anyway. (We were kidding, it was funny at that moment).

Kids being sassy aside, killing our cable (still getting limited cable though, including our networks and HD channels), and our land line is saving us....wait for it...$124 a MONTH. My husband, the techie that he is, is using Hulu, Netflix, Roku and Amazon on Demand through our computer, streaming into our TV, as our cable. For free folks. Same shows we always had, $124 in our pockets. We don't have all the hardware just yet, so it'll be a few weeks of struggling to get by without live TV, but I'm sure we'll manage. Because if you haven't done the math, it's saving us $1488 a YEAR. I never thought I'd be one to kill the cable. But in the tech-driven world of today, if you can get the same thing for less money, and have the know-how, WHY NOT?!

On a side note, I taught my first kickboxing class last night, after becoming certified on Sunday. It was AWESOME. I also never thought I'd be doing something so...THIS, but I am, and I LOVE it. No sneaking up behind me in a dark alley!

No comments: