I just finished "Finding Jack," by Gareth Crocker. Being a library employee, I see the books when they come in off the truck and can check them out before they are even put into circulation.
Because I have Shelby now, the image of the dog on the front caught my attention, along with the tagline "When the war ends, how do you leave your best friend behind?"
This book was amazing. I won't give it away, in case you want to read it - but I will tell you, I learned a HECK of a lot about the Vietnam War that I NEVER knew, found an increased appreciation and respect for my dog - and did a lot of crying.
The epilogue sums it up:
"Finding Jack" is a tribute to the Vietnam War dogs, many of whom gave their lives to protect American soldiers. Shortly after troops began to pull out of the war, it is believed that the US government ordered that the dogs be left behind and were regarded as "surplus military equipment" and left to fates unknown.
It is estimated that some four thousand dogs were sent to serve in Vietnam. They saved the lives of over 10,000 of our men. Fewer than 200 made it home. May we never forget their sacrifice.
I was ENRAGED when I read this. (this book is a feel good book, so don't dismiss it based on this). I just can't believe that after all these dogs did, they were just left to die. It has stirred up a desire in me to learn more about this "forgotten war" - a war that is often left in the shadows of World War II. I look at my dog and think about what she could be capable of - saving my life - like so many dogs do, and it warms my heart.
If you are looking for a good read, don't pass this one up.
No comments:
Post a Comment